Sounding Better

 I've been in the recording studio for many hours in my life. I've learned a ton, and for the longest time it was the only way to get the songs out of my head and into someone else's. But one of the many gifts of the pandemic is this music marketplace called Soundbetter.

When I could not get to the studio, I found a producer on Soundbetter, and a singer on Soundbetter, and the next thing I knew I had a pop sound that was what I've wanted all this time. The guy I worked with for several years was wonderful but I didn't always know how to explain to him the sound I wanted, and I needed a sound outside his preferred genres. 

My first Soundbetter project was this weird sync song called "Safe": Working with Kate Malone, the producer, was fantastic. She got the vibe I was trying to create, she was affordable, she's a woman, and I've never met her. Never even heard her voice


Then Kate got involved in a big project, or got tired of me, whatever, I'm good, because then I found Brian Steckler, who also gets the spare, vocals-front sync thing I like to do sometimes. He made this version of my song "Like" (after I did some streamlining and put it on a chord diet and stuff). I'm really glad I know him now too. 


I've worked with one other producer and I like my result, although there were a few bumps in the road, and I have a few others I'm going to try for various different sounds. Will I ever go back into a real studio again? Sure, but I live in a small town without a lot of options. Soundbetter has technical problems and the way I have to navigate their site sometimes is incredibly frustrating. There are a lot of vocalists on there who want me to pay $400 for a lead vocal and I hate having to say no, I can't afford that. But so far it's been great and I look forward to more collaborations.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Oh!

New Stuff