Apparently, I need to get cable.



These are the cable shows that have licensed this song. I've never seen any of these shows. The last reality show I watched was "Project Runway" during the first couple of seasons. I kind of gave up TV when I went to graduate school and while I can certainly binge it out on Netflix with the best of them, I never have enjoyed reality TV much.

As far as I can tell, "Kardashians" is, well everybody knows what that is, and the "Bellas" and "Divas" are about female pro wrestlers, and "Challenge" is a "Survivor/RealWorld" thing, and "Bad Girls Club" is, well, probably what it sounds like. And "Born This Way" is about people with Downs' Syndrome and that sounds really great.

Despite my lack of, uh, experience with these shows, I'm very excited. In the world of placements this is definitely starting somewhere near the bottom. Don't ask me how much money it will make. But it's still something to be proud of.

The song, "Not This Time Again," is the first song my singing friend Sydni Stinnett ever demoed for me, when she was thirteen years old. It's one of my favorites, because it's a song from my single days and everything in it really happened and everything in it is meaningful to me. I also love the song because it's done well. I was offered my first publishing contract on this song, which I didn't sign for various reasons, and the song has done well in most but not all contests. I can play it out live, which isn't true of all of my songs.

And it's not an uptempo. It's a breakup, middle-of-the-night song about the repetitive nature of romantic disappointment with some stealth hope at the end. In the sync world, depressing ballads have more opportunities than they do in the trying-get-a-cut world, so that's good. Trying to make headway in a segment of the industry that abhors "negativity" is like going to a highly dysfunctional elephant-in-the-room-denying Thanksgiving. Every day. Of course, someone will end up getting to #1 with "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald" anyway, but it's never you and it's never me.

Anyway. Since the nature of licensing is that some music supervisor has my song in the pile and may or may not use it, I don't know when, and the only way I can see my song on TV is to, uh, probably watch the shows. Or check on them after they air.

This puts my need to see my song on TV in conflict with my general snobbitude, and seeing my song on TV is the ball I've been trying to keep my eye on these last few years. So I guess I'm getting cable.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Oh!